Bear and the Princess are going to go touring in country NSW. We just need to get away because Vevencia has been fighting cancer for 3 years and the latest PET scan looks clear. She has been through so much. Time for a holiday.
I thought might take a picture of every old Post Office and interesting old buildings in the towns we go through.
Continuing from Day 6 – Young NSW this is day 7 …
We decided to head off today to make it to Gulgong going to be a big day as we wanted to spend quite a bit of time at the Cowra Japanese Garden.
“Cowra is a town in the Central West region of New South Wales, Australia. It is the largest population centre and the council seat for the Cowra Shire, with a population of 10,063.
Cowra is located approximately 310 m (1,017 ft) above sea level on the banks of the Lachlan River in the Lachlan Valley. By road it is approximately 310 km (193 mi) south-west of the state capital Sydney and 189 km (117 mi) north of the nation’s capital Canberra. The town is situated at the intersection of three state highways the Mid-Western Highway, Olympic Highway and the Lachlan Valley Way.
The Wiradjuri people (Wiradjuri northern dialect pronunciation [wiraːjd̪uːraj]) Wiradjuri southern dialect pronunciation [wiraːjɟuːraj]) are a group of indigenous Australian Aboriginal people that were united by a common language, strong ties of kinship and survived as skilled hunter–fisher–gatherers in family groups or clans scattered throughout central New South Wales.
The first European explorer to the area, George William Evans, entered the Lachlan Valley in 1815. He named the area the Oxley Plains after his superior the surveyor-general, John Oxley. In 1817 he deemed the area “unfit for settlement”. A military depot was established not long after at Soldiers Flat near present-day Billimari. Arthur Ranken and James Sloan, from Bathurst, were amongst the first white settlers on the Lachlan. They moved to the area in 1831.
The township of “Coura Rocks” had its beginnings in 1844. Around 1847, the township site became known as Cowra, and in 1849, was proclaimed a village.
In the 1850s many gold prospectors passed through headed for gold fields at Lambing Flat (Young) and Grenfell. The first school was established in 1857. The first bridge over the Lachlan River was built in 1870. Gold was discovered at Mount McDonald in the 1880s. The rail head, from Sydney, reached Cowra in 1886. Local government was granted in 1888. The first telephone exchange was established in 1901. The town water supply was established in 1909, the gasworks in 1912 and town supplied electricity was introduced in 1924.” Wikipedia
“The garden was designed by Ken Nakajima (1914–2000) in the style of the Edo period as a kaiyū-shiki or strolling garden. The rocky hillside, manicured hedges, waterfalls and streams, and two lakes provide a serene environment for a variety of ducks. Special features of the garden include a Bonshō (bell), a traditional Edo cottage, an authentic open air tea house and a Bonsai house.
In 1960 the Japanese Government decided to bring all their war dead from other parts of Australia to be re-buried at Cowra, which already featured a cemetery for the remains of 231 Japanese soldiers killed during the 1944 Cowra breakout from the nearby prisoner of war camp. The Japanese War Cemetery was tended to after World War II by members of the Cowra Returned and Services League of Australia and ceded to Japan in 1963.
In 1971 the Cowra Tourism Development decided to celebrate this link to Japan, and proposed a Japanese garden for the town. The Japanese government agreed to support this development as a sign of thanks for the respectful treatment of their war dead; the development also received money from the Australian government and private entities.
The Cowra Japanese Garden and Cultural Centre opened in 1979, and the second stage opened in 1986.” Wikipedia
We both loved these gardens and after a cuppa we continued on to …
“The name Molong comes from the aboriginal word for ‘all rocks’.
William Lee of Kelso is said to have had cattle in the area by 1819. He later held property just north of present Molong, around Larras Lee. In 1826 a military and police outpost was established at Molong, on Governor Darling’s orders, as a step in opening up the government stock reserve west of the Macquarie River for settlement.
The Historical Museum is housed in a former hotel (1856), built by rubble-mason James Mortal, who sold it in 1861 to John Smith of Gamboola. Smith let the building to a series of publicans and it later became the residence and surgery for a series of doctors. The Historical Society acquired it for use as a museum, in 1969, with help from the Molong Shire Council.
Molong is located on the Mitchell Highway about 300 kilometres west of Sydney and about 30 kilometres from the city of Orange. It is elevated at 529 metres above sea level. At the 2016 census, Molong had a population of 2,577 people. Charles Sturt visited Molong in 1828. Molong was the site of an early copper mine in Australia, located at Copper Hill just outside Molong.
The railway from Sydney reached Molong in 1886; it was later extended to Parkes. A branch railway to Dubbo was opened in 1925 and closed in 1987.” Wikipedia
“Wellington is a town in inland New South Wales, Australia, located at the junction of the Macquarie and Bell Rivers. It is within the local government area of Dubbo Regional Council. The town is 362 kilometres (225 mi) from Sydney on the Great Western Highway and Mitchell Highway.
The area was originally occupied by the Wiradjuri people. Explorer John Oxley was the first European to discover the area in 1817 and named it “Wellington Valley” after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.
Wellington was originally established in 1823 by Percy Simpson in early 1823 as an agricultural station. Squatters started settling along the Macquarie Valley and in 1832 CMS was established in the settlement to teach Christianity to the Aboriginal people of the area. The convict settlement ceased in 1831 but a village called Montefiores was established on the north side of the Macquarie River crossing. The Town of Wellington was gazetted in 1846. On 20 March 1885, Wellington was proclaimed a town. Wellington Shire Council was established in 1949.
Wellington is the second oldest New South Wales settlement west of the Blue Mountains. One of its hotels, the Lion of Waterloo, established by Nicolas Hyeronimus in 1842, is the oldest operating west of the Blue Mountains, and is near the location of the last recorded duel fought on Australian soil in 1854. The railway from Sydney reached Wellington in 1880.
As a regional centre Wellington benefited by the development of the gold mining industry in the district from the 1850s. Initially this was working alluvial deposits of gold but later focused on the mining of quartz reefs. Among the mining districts was Mitchells Creek located 8 miles to the north east near the locality of Bodangora.” Wikipedia
I wanted a cuppa in the park but it was so windy we decided to continue to Gulgong so we could have dinner with my cousin Tom and wife Judy. We booked into the Ten Dollar Town Motel because Tom had recommended it. Why the name? because it is depicted on the Aussie ten dollar note. Did you know that?
Pics of this wonderful old town in the next post.