Bear and the Princess are going to go touring in country NSW. We just need to get away because Vevencia has been fighting cancer for 3 years and the latest PET scan today looks clear. She has been through so much. Time for a holiday.
I thought might take a picture of every old Post Office and interesting old buildings in the towns we go through.
Continuing from Day 1 – Stanthorpe QLD to Coonabarabran NSW this is day 2 …
“Gilgandra is a country town in the central west region of New South Wales, Australia, and services the surrounding agricultural area where wheat is grown extensively together with other cereal crops, and sheep and beef cattle are raised. Sitting at the junction of the Newell, Oxley and Castlereagh highways, the town is located in a wide bend of the Castlereagh River downstream from its source near Coonabarabran, directly downstream from Mendooran, and upstream from Gulargambone and Coonamble. It is 432 km north-west of Sydney (about six hours’ driving time), and is located approximately halfway on the inland route from Melbourne to Brisbane. The town is the administrative seat for the Gilgandra Shire. It is known as the town of windmills and the home of the ‘Coo-ees’, and is a gateway to the Warrumbungles National Park.”
“Peak Hill is a town in Parkes Shire in the Central West of New South Wales, Australia. At the 2011 census, Peak Hill had a population of 755 people. It is on the Newell Highway and the Dubbo to Parkes railway line, completed to Peak Hill in 1910. The first public wheat silo built in Australia was constructed at Peak Hill in 1918 after government surveys indicated the district had great potential as a wheat producing region.”
“Parkes was founded in 1853 as the settlement Currajong, named for the abundance of kurrajong trees in the local area by the settlers, but was then known as Bushman’s (from the local mine named Bushman’s Lead).
In August 1873, Henry Parkes (later Sir Henry) visited the area and in December 1873 the town was officially renamed Parkes in his honour . (Sir Henry Parkes is recognised in Australia as having played an instrumental role in Australia becoming a unified and federated country.) In March 1885, Parkes was proclaimed a town.
Bushman’s Lead Post Office opened on 1 August 1872 and was renamed Parkes in 1873. The railway from Molong via Parkes to Forbes, was officially opened on 18 December 1893.
Parkes attracted significant attention during the gold rush of the 1870s onwards, and even to this day modern mining companies still have sites in the region.
In 1939, Parkes became a sister city with Coventry in the United Kingdom. This was in honour of the fact Sir Henry Parkes was born in Coventry.
With the presence of the nearby Parkes Observatory, Parkes has had an important role in the scientific community. In addition to local research conducted at the radio telescope, Parkes scientists have assisted NASA for several missions as a Southern Hemisphere relay and communications station. (The movie The Dish was based somewhat loosely on the role the telescope played during the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing.)”
That was the end of our second day’s travel. Bear was tired after a wonderful day particularly visiting Peak Hill and the old shops. It is beautiful country were travelled through and fascinating old towns. So we booked into a Hotel/Motel in the centre of town and Bear parked himself in the bar to see if the XXXX beer was as good as it was in Queensland! Vevencia went shopping LOL 😉
Tomorrow was going to be a big day searching Parkes Cemetery for the graves of the first Judds to come to Australia in 1855.